Native News Online has an immediate opening for a full-time staff reporter. We are seeking a passionate and energetic journalist to join our team as a staff reporter covering daily news in Indian Country. This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to work from our Michigan office or remotely.
American Indian or Alaska Native candidates with 1-2 years of journalism experience or a college degree in journalism or communications are encouraged to apply. We will provide training and mentoring in journalism and offer competitive pay, benefits, and a flexible work environment.
As a daily reporter, your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with our editors to identify important news stories
- Monitor social media, newswires and other sources of information
- Internet research on issues, policy, and news that affect Native Americans
- Follow-up reporting via phone, email, teleconferencing or in-person
- Write daily news stories with the reader’s perspective in mind
- Identify photography for stories and write captions
- Maintain notes and audio recordings of interviews
- Work with editorial team to produce social media postings on stories
- Abide by journalism’s ethics and codes
- Attend bi-weekly newsroom meetings (virtually)
Requirements and skills:
- Experience as a reporter
- Portfolio of published articles or newscasts
- Ability to gather, write and edit news
- Broad knowledge of headlines
- Excellent communication and active listening skills
- Integrity and morality
If you're interested in applying, please send an introductory email, your resume and writing samples to [email protected].
Together, we can educate, enlighten, and empower.November is celebrated as “Native American Heritage Month.” At Native News Online, we amplify Native voices and share our relatives’ unique perspectives every day of the year. We believe every month should celebrate Native American heritage.
If you appreciate our commitment to Native voices and our mission to tell stories that connect us to our roots and inspire understanding and respect, we hope you will consider making a donation this month to support our work. For those who commit to a recurring donation of $12 per month or more, or make a one-time donation of $150 or greater, we're excited to offer you a copy of our upcoming Indian Boarding School publication and access to our quarterly Founder’s Circle meetings and newsletter.